8.13.2010

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict: Oversimplified Review and Minimal Thoughts

Oversimplified review:

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler 



How much you have to think: ★★
Not so much a problem with this book. It's easy reading. But it gets a second star because it will make a lot more sense if you're familiar with Jane Austen books, particularly Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, and Mansfield Park. Northanger Abbey gets one mention.

Can't-put-it-down factor: ★★★★
I had a really hard time putting it down, but I was far more interested in the 21st-century woman stuck in the 19th century than her getting back to the 21st century.

Emotional magnitude:
That star is for me. However, if you've just broken off an engagement, as the main character has, it might be more emotional. Without similar experiences, though, you don't really feel the character's feelings.

Do I recommend it?: ★★
It's definitely not a book you have to read. It's not even up there with the best Jane Austen spin offs I've read. But if you're an Austen buff, it's worth the read.

How favorite it is:
This is kind of mean... But it's forgettable. I liked it. There was nothing wrong with it. But it's nowhere near on par with the best books I've ever read. Probably wouldn't hit my top 100.


Minimal thoughts required


I'm really not trying to sound like a book snob. I enjoyed the book a lot. It's a great beach book. I actually got into the book while I was lying on my deck sunbathing because I felt Anna Karenina was too heavy for first thing in the morning (which is noon-ish for me).


Confessions is a great book to follow a really heavy, tough read because your emotions aren't yanked all over the place, you don't have to keep up with a ridiculous number of characters, and if you're an Austen buff, let's be honest -- you're reading about something we've all fantasized a little about.

What I liked most was that it was a different look at the Austen era -- like the fact that they probably didn't smell good and probably had nasty teeth. It points out that bathing in Bath would gross us modern girls out with the open wounds and stuff.

One thing Rigler did a really good job with was surprising you with the heroes. The 21st-century guys, not so much. But the 19th-century hero completely shocked me.

I'll spare the spoiler and let you see for yourself.

A sequel

If you find yourself wondering what's up with the real Jane Mansfield while Courtney Stone is occupying Jane's 19th-century body, never fear. Viera is one step ahead of you:



For even more Viera, see janeaustenaddict.com.

And I'm adding a listing to my Blogs About Books because I found the cover art on this blog. I'm kind of wondering if the professor I took a brief Austen course with is writing it...

No comments: